It has been 7 months since I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon cancer. For those who may not know, the cancer was initially found in my colon, but after further testing it revealed that the cancer had metastasized to my liver, and lungs. I can’t really describe what it was last like in that moment when the oncologist informed us of the life altering news.
Our world was turned upside down in a moment, and we have been trying to recover ever since.
Since then, a lot has changed. The way I eat. The way I live.
Everything is different now!
We have a new normal.
For the past 7 months I have been living with an intruder. An uninvited guest who has taken up residency in my body. Although this unwanted guest has decided to call my body a home, I have to admit that it has taught me a lot about myself, my family, and humanity. We have a love/strongly dislike relationship.
Here is what I have discovered so far living with cancer…
– I love how it has brought me closer in my walk with the Lord.
– It has given me a deeper appreciation for life, family & friends.
– It is changing the way I look at things.
– It is changing me.
– It has given us opportunities to encourage and support others.
– This diagnosis has ‘forced’ us (in a good way) to really start living. Jamie and I will not allow this intruder to keep us from living our dreams.
STRONGLY DISLIKE (AKA – HATE)
– That it has chosen to live in my body.
– That it tries to steal from me everyday. My joy, my hope, and my strength. Everything!
– That it causes arguments with my wife
– It has added a ton of pressure to our lives.
– It has caused fear to be a stronghold in my life at times.
– That it doesn’t want to leave!
These are just a few of the discoveries I have made since being diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. As we continue to fight, and forge ahead, I look forward to the lessons I will learn with living with cancer.