One of my most favorite passages in the Old Testament is found in Joshua, chapter 1. Moses is dead and Joshua has been called upon to be the next leader. Before taking the children into the promised land, God has some powerful words for Joshua. Listen to what He says.
After the death of Moses the LORD’s servant, the LORD spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, “Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you— from the Negev wilderness in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River in the east to the Mediterranean Sea in the west, including all the land of the Hittites.’ No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:1-9 NLT)
Here are 13 things God told Joshua:
1. Verse 2 – It’s time for you to lead.
2. Verse 3 – I promise you.
3. Verse 5 – I will be with you.
4. Verse 5 – I will not fail or abandon you.
5. Verse 5 – no one will be able to stand against you
6. Verse 6 – be strong and courageous.
7. Verse 7 – be careful to obey all My instructions.
8. Verse 7 – don’t deviate from them, you will be successful.
9. Verse 8 – study this book.
10. Verse 8 – meditate on it day and night.
11. Verse 9 – be strong and courageous
12. Verse 9 – do not be afraid or discouraged.
13. Verse 9 – for The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
What is God saying to you?